3 Steps to Following Up with Your Leads Using Email
Do you know what the biggest challenge to a BRAND spankin’ new technology industry (like solar) is?
Nope, not competition.
Contrary to what most people think, it’s MOMENTUM.
Why? Simple: human have this thing called a lizard brain.
So what exactly is the lizard brain? FEAR
In another words, when the lizard brain sees something it does not understand, it TELLS you that you need to fear it.. and avoid it.
When it sees something new and different, it first resists the idea: for example, new technology like solar.
And that is exactly why we have the technology adoption cycle:
People who are the Innovators and Early adopters act despite their lizard brain telling them otherwise.
The rest of the people will act based on “social proof”, also known as “monkey see monkey do”.
If you’re generating leads (i.e. possible customers) who are interested but are not ready to buy, there’s a way to overcome this challenge of the lizard brain resisting adoption.
There’s no voodoo magic.
It’s simply: REPETITION.
Like i said… REPETITION.
But just to make sure that I’ve said it… it’s REPETITION.
(ok that was annoying, but you get the point.)
Repeating a message is how you’re going to leave an impression in their mind, and thereby lessening the effect of the lizard brain.
Here are THREE simple steps how you can achieve this with email marketing…
1) Segment your email
You have three catgories: Yes, Maybe, No.
The content you’re going to send to the yes’ are going to be different from the content that you’re going to send to the No’s and the Maybe’s.
So segment (i.e. separate) your list into three categories.
2) Send HELPFUL, not spammy, content on regular basis.
You’re going to routinely send them content that are 1) relevant to what you sell and 2) helpful.
In another words, your emails have to be the nice boyscout (or girlscout) that helps an old frail lady cross the street.
If you sell solar, for example, you want to send them things like
- how solar can help them lower their bills insane amounts of money every month – (“What’s in it for me?”)
- testimonials of how other people (social proof) can now spend more money on things like children’s school supplies instead of paying the utility company (emotional sell)
- why the owners/founders of the company believe in solar and how they came into the business (people are genuinely interested in YOUR story)
- examples of solar projects around the world that are changing the way people live (like solar water pumps in Africa)
What you DON’T want to do is sound like a broken record that screams “BUY BUY BUY”.
Simple. Ask yourself this question.
Do you like getting emails where the company is doing nothing but CONSTANTLY asking you to buy?
Remember, it’s not that they don’t trust you or your message… it’s their LIZARD brain that’s blocking them from making their buying decision.
You gotta make them feel safe.. so make sure to send them helpful content at least once a week so that
- they don’t forget who you are or what you sell
- you build rapport with them
3) Ask if the lead would like a re-visit from your sales rep IN the promotional content
This is critical.. and lot of people sorta fail here.
When you DO send them the content, make sure to do what you do in all sales meeting…
ASK FOR THE “SALE” (so to speak).
Obviously, if you sell solar, you’re not going to make a $50k sale over internet.
So in cases like that, you want to ASK if they would like to start another dialogue with you and/or your company regarding your product/service.